Thursday, January 27, 2005

On the narrowing of horizons

Hm, pretty quiet so far. Perhaps I should toss out some bait to see if anyone bites.

This article from the Chronicle of Higher Education caught my eye this morning. People entering the job market frequently assume that increasing levels of experience will increase their options; however, this writer suggests that he actually has fewer options after a few years of experience than he had as an entry-level academic. I've felt somewhat the same way in my own job search. (Particularly frustrating are the position postings that say, in effect, "only new graduates need apply.") Has anyone else had similar thoughts or experiences? Relevant information, either general or anecdotal in nature? Do one's employment prospects really get more restricted with experience?

1 Comments:

Blogger Carlos said...

For my first library job search I used the "shotgun" approach, as the author calls it, but it didn't seem to work. The only job I was offered after three months of searching was one I would have applied for even had I been more selective. Of course now that I'm employed I can afford to be choosy in looking for my next job.

January 27, 2005 at 7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home